Saturday, April 17, 2010

Book Review: Black Magic Sanction

Title Black Magic Sanction (Rachel Morgan, Book 8)
Author Kim Harrison
Rating ***1/2

This is a series I find very uneven. Some of the volumes I can't put down, some I have trouble finishing, and sometimes, as in this volume, the two reactions are about the same book.

I think part of my reaction is to her universe, wherein some of the laws of magic just don't make sense. It is possible to kill someone with magic and still be considered a practitioner of white magic. Rachel, the main character, on the other hand, although she does the best she can to help people, has been accruing more black magic "smut" on her soul. Now the law enforcement arm of the witches wants to imprison her, give her a lobotomy, and/or sterilize her, as her children would be demons.

Another problem is that some of the characters, and Rachel's reaction to them, are wildly inconsistent. She trusts Nick at times though he has betrayed her before, even has feelings for him, but at other times wants to kill him. Similar reactions to Pierce.

So I'm not always sure why I keep reading the series.... but I do, and will probably keep doing so.

Publication Eos (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 496 pages
Publication date 2010
ISBN 0061138037 / 9780061138034

Posted via web from reannon's posterous

No comments: