Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Ugly Reality of the American Penal System

This post from one of my favorite blogs, Dispatches From the Culture Wars, gives some of the horrible statistics about the American penal system, which incarcerates more than any other country, and overwhelmingly incarcerates racial minorities. Something is badly wrong, and our drug policy is a large part of it. I don't agree necessarily with making all drugs legal, but would certainly like to see a shift to treatment over incarceration. Moreover, it is the U.S. demand for drugs that is causing the horrors of the drug trade in Mexico, with 6-9000 deaths so far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Joannah

http://linuxmemory.net

Mary Amanda Axford said...

Thanks for the comment! You've brightened my day. Warm spring blessings,

Mary