Sunday, March 15, 2009

Book Review: Inside Inside

Title Inside Inside
Author
James Lipton
Rating ****

I came late to the discovery of Inside the Actor's Studio and James Lipton, I only found it a few years ago. Once I found it, I was enthralled, and became quite a fan of Lipton, because of his knowledge, his sense of humor, his joy in life, and his skill as an interviewer. He's always seemed young for his age, but I didn't realize how much so until I looked his age up on IMDB. He was born in Sept. 1926, making him 82! I thought he was in his 60s. So I was quite happy to hear about the publication of his book Inside Inside.

It was a bit slow to get into, and i finally understood his reputation for pomposity. That soon vanished though, and though it is a long book it gets more and more interesting. I had heard a bit of his experiences as a mec, sort of like a pimp but more respectful of the woman. He also knew some fascinating personalities, including Bob Hope, for whom he produced 12 specials. Then, of course, the last part of the book talks about the wonderful interviews done on the show and some of the highlights. I defy anyone to read about Chris Reeve's interview without crying, and marveling at the great gift of openness and vulnerability given not just by Reeves but all the guests.

Marvelous! Mr. Lipton, take a well-deserved bow.

Publication NAL Trade (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 512 pages
Publication date 2008
ISBN 0451225015 / 9780451225016

No comments: