Saturday, July 12, 2008

Book Report: Diplomatic Act

TitleDiplomatic Act


Rating****

Tagssf, actors, aliens


Jurasik is an actor who played Londo Mollari on the TV Show Babylon 5. So when I saw a reference to the book I got hold of a copy. I'm glad I did. It is a great read. It starts with a humorous, irreverent style, but turns out to be a well-written SF novel, in my opinion. The plot is similar in its most important element to the movie Galaxy Quest, in that an actor is kidnapped by aliens who think he is an elder who can stop an interstellar war. The aliens leave a substitute for the actor, an anthropologist, of course, who takes the opportunity to learn about more about humans The rest of the story alternates between what's happening to the actor and the alien.

What did I like? I like the writing style, the plot is pretty decent though a little generic. I really like that the authors create aliens who are as wildly inventive physically as those of James White in the Sector General series. Altogether a fun book.



Author – Jurasik, Peter
Author – Keith, William H.
PublicationBaen (1998), Hardcover, 368 pages
Publication date1998
ISBN0671877887 / 9780671877880

No comments: