Sunday, July 6, 2008

At the half century

It is now after midnight, making this July 6th, 2008. I have now lived on this earth a half century. That seems to call for reflection, and a gathering of any wits I have left.

First of all, this is a birthday I've looked forward to celebrating for a year or so. There were times I didn't think I would make it to this age, and now that I have, I am proud and happy to have done so. So I celebrate. Celebration is also the way I worship.... it is for me a connection to life, to something larger than myself and something it is joyous to be a part of, even when I get so angry and sad about the state of the world.

How did I get here? I thought life meant love, in its full romantic form. When that failed me, I turned to thoughts of death. I got through with help from friends, and I learned that happiness, and love, must be found within.

Is my life perfect? No... but then, it never is. If it were, what would we have to strive for? I am more grateful than I can tell for friends, for animals, for books, ideas, poetry, and the people who are doing the best that they can. I am greatly concerned about the state of this country and the world. I love the ideals that created this country, and hope that one day we can actually live up to them. I think it takes each of us standing up and saying that we are a light, and we will not add to the darkness. The easiest way to spread the darkness is to get hung up on what brand of light we are, whether Christian, Jew, Muslim, Pagan, black, white, green, man, woman, child, liberal, conservative, gay, straight, bi, transgendered... instead let us simply be the best light that we can be, true to our deepest self.

Be well, be true, and be joyous. Pretty please.

No comments: