Saturday, October 10, 2009

My Precious Girl is Gone

I suppose it is the height of narcissism to post something so personal, but Spider Robinson used to say that shared joy increases and shared pain lessens.  Shannon, the older of my two cats (but not quite 9) had kidney failure and she was put to sleep today.  She was the most loving cat I've ever known.  She used to rub her face against mine and purr.  She came to me from the Good Mews no kill cat shelter in town, and I've had her for less than two years.  Damn it, it wasn't long enough, though I am so very grateful for the time I did have with her.  Tonight I feel like I'd rather be dead than live on without her.  That will pass, but oh, she was my heart's darling and the best thing, other than family and friends, to ever happen to me.

 

Blessed be, sweet girl.  I will miss you.  Be happy and I'll see you anon.

 

Posted via web from reannon's posterous

4 comments:

judy said...

i know all too well what it is like to lose a beloved pet. all the days you had with your wonderful cat will never be enough... your heart feels like it is gone. your soul aches. and i don't think it is narcisstic at all. i hope that the memories of your precious girl will be of some consolation to you in the days and weeks ahead. they will be long ones. you have my deepest sympathy and loving thoughts. please don't cry too much... be happy that she is no longer in pain. much love, judy

Mary Amanda Axford said...

Thanks so much for your kind words. It is comforting to hear from those who understand this kind of pain.

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear this news, Mary. I'm thinking of you.

Mary Amanda Axford said...

Thanks. I appreciate the kind thoughts.