Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hate Mail from Christians

Ed Brayton here posts hate mail received by Mikey Weinstein of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF).  I post it because it is one of the great disconnects in American culture.  Jesus was a man of peace, primarily, and who cared about everyone.  Yet some who consider themselves his followers are, according to some of the things they do, full of hate.  People who file freedom of religion lawsuits, especially concerning schools, or cases against creationism or intelligent design being taught in schools, often receive virulent hate mail, including death threats.  There are two preachers I know of who advocate praying for the deaths of their "enemies", such as President Obama or Barry Lynn of Americans United for the Separation of Church and State.  I know in the early days of being Wiccan I never talked to a fundamentalist Christian about my religion without hearing them quote "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live".  It did not have the effect they wished... it scared me, all right, but did not scare me into givng up my religion and taking up theirs, it convinced me that their religion was the last possible one I'd ever believe in.  It is a real WTF moment, and I wish that more moderate Christians would speak up against such such hatred.

 

Posted via web from reannon's posterous

No comments: