Sunday, August 23, 2009

Book Review: The Demon King and I

Title: The Demon King and I
Author: Candace Havens
Rating: ***1/2
Tags: paranormal, suspense, guardians

I think I've reached a saturation point with paranormal romances.

One problem with this one is that four sisters are the defenders of not just earth, but several worlds. Oh, they have lots of backup, including wealth, great technology, and lots of minions, but I just find this concept difficult to believe. No matter how super strong or fast or smart, one fighter isn't going to be able to defeat odds of say, 100 to 1. Or a thousand to 1. Oddly enough, the women's enemies haven't figured this out yet.

There's also the problem that has begun to gnaw at me more and more, the good guys and the evil nasties. The women basically automatically kill the beings from some planets, say the demons or the dragons, that go to the planets they are protecting. But as the main character finds out, the King of the Demons is not all bad guy. In fact, he seems pretty good. In fact, she falls in love with him. If that's the case, one has to assume there are other good guys, or at least not evil guys, in the groups they've seen as enemies. Seems to me that anytime one is dealing with sentience, it opens the possibility that someone considered good will choose to be bad, and someone bad will choose to be good. Or, like real life, sentient beings are complex mixtures of good and bad.

But given that weakness, I enjoyed the book. It is an intriguing universe, the characters are ok, and the plot is interesting.

Worth a read, but I don't know how diligently I'll track down later books in the series.


Publication Berkley Trade (2008), Paperback, 320 pages
Publication date 2008

No comments: