Friday, April 4, 2008

Book Review: Death was the Other Woman

TitleDeath Was the Other Woman: A Mystery
AuthorLinda L. Richards
Rating****1/2
Tagsmystery, Great depression, private eye, women
Your reviewLately I haven't had many of those serendipitous finds you get while browsing a shelf of books. I usually put holds on books I Know I want to read, and there are enough books out by authors I know that I like that I don't often browse the shelves, and when I do, I rarely pick up a new author. But I did the other day pick up this book, it looked intriguing. fortunately, it WAS intriguing, and I really enjoyed the book.

It is set in the early 1930s in Los Angeles. Katherine Pangborn was a daughter of wealth and privilege until her father lost all in the stock market crash and committed suicide. Katherine gets a job with a private eye in LA named Dexter J. Theroux. Katherine does some of the investigating when Dex is out of town.

The book takes on the stereotypes of hard-boiled PI novels , and goes from there. Dex is right out of a hard-boiled novel until he tells Katherine some of what happened to him in WWI in France. Behind everything is the pall of the Great Depression, and the desperation of many. Yet the overall story is of a woman finding her strength. But it is also a fun book with an interesting plot. This is apparently Richard's second novel, and I'll be looking for her work from now on.
PublicationSt. Martin's Minotaur (2008), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 272 pages
Publication date2008
ISBN0312377703 / 9780312377700

No comments: