Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fundamentalists Objections to the Day of Silence

Ed Brayton has this post about a fundamentalist Christian objecting to the Day of Silence, when high school and middle school students who choose stay silent to protest anti-gay bullying and discrimination.  Is there still a need for a Day of Silence?  Yes, LGBT students are far too often not safe in their schools.  They face not only verbal intimidation, but physical violence.  Though it happened long ago, this comment on the post shows the horror they face:

I would like to inform Ms. Harvey that the metal plate in my face - the one that ensures my shattered eye socket, cheekbone and nose remain in place - is not a "monumental con job." Rather, it is the result of two nice "Christian" boys who decided 6 1/2 years ago to smash a brick into a faggot's face.

Futhermore, the physical and verbal harassment that I faced every single day of Junior High was not a "monumental con job," although it did occur 30 years ago. Rest assured, Ms. Harvey, that the attitudes behind it have not disappeared. Why in the last few months alone I have heard the term "fag" or "faggot" at least 6 times, including several instances when it was directed at me, and my brother-in-law, who lives in Massachusetts of all places, demanded I not mention my sexuality again when around "his" two teenagers (apparently my sister did not have a hand in their births).

If you'd like to discuss "monumental con jobs," however, let's start with the perversion of Christianity you claim to practice.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | April 13, 2011 1:46 PM

 

Posted via email from reannon's posterous

No comments: